WEALTHBAR CASE STUDY

Banking Automation

wealthbar_cover
 

Connecting a bank account is a vital step for customers to begin investing with WealthBar. As we scaled, various circumstances forced us to reimagine the optimal flow for users to connect their bank accounts.

My Role
Lead Designer (Research, UX, UI Design)

Company
WealthBar

Problem

An uptick in cases of users using our service to commit fraud (money laundering) forced us to block our bank change feature and direct all client bank change requests through a rigorous manual staff verification process. The core problems included:

  1. Long Lead Times — Our manual process forced customers to wait a minimum of 3 business days before they could begin transferring funds to/from their bank accounts.
  2. Rising Volume — Staff became more and more overwhelmed with the volume of banking requests as we grew.
  3. Compliance — Our manual staff process did not adequately satisfy compliance requirements for keeping records of changes.
Service Blueprinting

As part of our initial research for this feature, we roped in a few folks from our Client Services Team to create a service blueprint to better understand the problem. The goal of this was two-fold:

  1. We wanted to understand the ways in which users have been committing fraud (user stories); and
  2. We wanted to map out the current process for ID and bank verification conducted by staff (completely manual).

After creating the initial blueprint and conducting a few interviews with staff, we presented our findings to stakeholders. We outlined the issues that needed to be addressed and ran a workshop to define an ideal state for the workflow.

Service-BlueprintsCurrent

Current State — I worked closely with our client services team to flesh out our current service blueprint.

Service-BlueprintsIdeal

Ideal State — We ran a blueprinting workshop with key stakeholders to collaborate on an ideal solution.

Service Blueprint1

Final Service Blueprint — This map helped us identify key pain points that hindered our staff's ability to identify fraud quickly and accurately. 

Solution

(1) Redesign the existing bank change feature to include a secure authentication process — allowing for automated approvals that doesn’t require staff intervention.

(2) Design an internal workflow feature that allows staff to track and complete client bank change requests.

The Client Flow

Improving the client flow was important. After deciding on a third-party service (Flinks) that allowed users to securely and automatically connect their bank accounts, I began mapping out a new flow.

User Flow

User Flow (Client) — We often run internal usability tests for our features. This one was particularly pertinent since we could test the design with users who be the direct users of the feature.

 

mobile-ui-flows-min

Mobile Flows (Client) — This was the final set of mobile screens for the client bank change + verification flow.

 

The Staff Flow

Our staff needed an interface to help keep track of pending request tickets and a request details page that aggregated all relevant information associated with the request.

Content-Modelling-compressed

Content Modelling — Identifying key pieces of information for account validation and running a card sorting exercise.

Information Architecture

We began by shadowing our staff as they conducted the manual verification process. This allowed us to identify key pieces of information that staff needed to validate and process each new request, we started card sorting to form a basis for the feature’s IA.

 

Concepts & Wires

With a good sense of all the information the UI would have to accommodate, I began sketching some wires. This allowed me to begin mapping out different pieces of data to define possible flows and IA structures on each screen. 

Wire-Sketchestransparent

Early Wire Sketches —  Exploring different ways of organizing crucial client information.

Usability Testing

We ran usability tests with our client services team. This was particularly useful since we could test the design directly with the users who would be using this feature on our admin platform.

testing-results

Testing Results —  I ran two rounds of usability tests with staff to continuously interate on the solution.

staff-ui

Hi-fidelity Mockups

After a few rounds of iterations, I refined the designs to this. This flow involves a work queue of pending bank requests and a request details page where staff can approve or reject each request.

Outcomes

Upon rolling out this new feature in early 2020, we began to see immediate results in both our back-end staff process, as well as the overall customer experience.

  1. Reduced average lead time by 65% — Average wait time for new bank accounts shortened to 1 business day and auto-approved account changes became instantaneous.
  2. Reduced staff verification tickets by 50% — Auto-approvals accounted for a little over half of all new bank change requests.
  3. Meets compliance requirements — Our manual staff process did not adequately satisfy compliance requirements for keeping records of changes.